Starting a vegan diet doesn’t have to be difficult in fact, it can be very easy with the right mindset and preparations. A very crucial point of a vegan diet transitioning is a good education on why you choose to start a vegan diet. What is the misconception all about? Find all the answers to your questions and be mindful about your choice. That way you will not only experience the abundance of vegan cuisine but also you will understand eventually, that it has much more to offer than just a healthier diet. Once you set your mind you’ll be starting on a clear foundation and your beautiful journey can begin.
- Find out about vegan options of your favorite foods or ingredients that you use to eat very often. For example, if you use to have a lot of dairy like milk for your breakfast or coffee there are plenty of vegan milk choices. All you must do is find out which of them you like best and use that to create your meals. Just like with everything in food, there will be products you like and some that you don’t like. Approach new ingredients or products with an open mind and don’t be afraid of new flavors that might tickle your taste buds.
- Cook veganized recipes of dishes that you love! The best way to understand vegan food is to cook it by yourself. You will notice very quickly that there are ingredients you have never heard or tasted before and if you are like me, you want to try them all. Be curious and don’t be afraid to try out something new. Also, if the recipe doesn’t turn out well in the beginning or if you didn’t like the taste don’t be discouraged, it is all about exploring and understanding a new diet. Try one of my easy to follow recipes Lentil Kofta or this super quick Chocolate Pudding!
- Try and explore different vegan dishes. I often notice that people who are not vegan mainly think that it is quite difficult to be on a vegan diet, especially while traveling. That is because their focus is not tuned to vegan food. They could be eating meals or a snack that is vegan, but they wouldn’t notice, just because the awareness is not present. On a vegan diet you will quickly see the availabilities and depending in which city you live you may have a lot of vegan restaurants to go to. Happy Cow is and always was one of my survival kits. This website always provides the closest vegan friendly places wherever you are in the world. It is super exciting to explore restaurants which are dedicated to offer vegan meals, it will open your mind to a completely new cuisine, and you will understand that vegan food is everything but depriving.
- Understand the ingredient labeling and what it means. In the beginning it can be quite overwhelming with all the new information that you are acquiring. Going to the supermarket can take a bit longer than usual but it is all worth it. If you don’t understand anything don’t leave it that way. Find out what it means and understand what it is. I promise you, there are going to be products where you will be quite surprised about what it is made of. And this will once again encourage you to be more conscious of your food choices.
- Be patient and allow your taste buds and body to adapt gradually. Depending on how your diet was before, your body can react in different ways. Stay curious and keep finding information that answer your questions. There are many other people in your situation who share the same experience and been through different stages on a vegan diet. Understand what they have done and reach out to like-minded people through Facebook groups or other channels for support. You don’t have to do this alone.
- Keep educating yourself. There will be a time where you’ll think why am I doing all this? It can be easy to forget why you choose this path in the first place, and facts can start blurring and fading. Therefore, it is very important to keep educating yourself, especially in the beginning. There is so much to know, and you will be thankful for your efforts. Because only when you know you truly have the freedom of choice.
- Invest in yourself. You can encounter this new journey all by yourself, but it is more fun if you actually reach out for inspiration and help from professionals. Attend a vegan cooking class and learn how to create vegan dishes. Reach out to people you admire and ask for mentorship. You will be surprised how many are more than happy to assist and support. If I can be of any help, let me know!
- Take small steps. Some people stop before they even get started. One reason could be that they have taken on too much in the beginning. First, it is amazing that you choose to be conscious of your diet and that you are confident and determined to take responsibility and action to better your health and the planet. It is a huge change and every single cell in your body needs time to adapt to a new environment. Don’t be too focused on the wording veganism and what the do’s and don’ts are. There are no vegan police behind your back. And most importantly it is not about being vegan it is more about the awareness that enriches you along the way. So, take small steps, go with what feels good for you. Stay honest to yourself and continue from there. Every little step further is getting you closer to the best version of yourself.
With these tips and the right mindset, you are pretty much well geared up to get started and find your own unique path on a more conscious healthy diet and lifestyle.
- For more guidance and tips on a healthy and conscious lifestyle watch LEARN to THRIVE series on YouTube
- For Vegan Food Delivery and Cooking Workshops, Check out VEGAN CRUSH
Maricel is an international vegan specialized personal chef from Germany based in Thailand. She is also the founder of VEGAN CRUSH Cuisine and Food Delivery in Bangkok. From vegan gourmet to raw plant-based cuisine, Maricel offers a wide range of whole fusion food and recipes that inspired thousands of people through her food workshops, dinner events and online cooking classes. She is well known for her constant innovative recipe development that turns every event into a unique celebration for the palate and soul.
If you like this article give it your love and share it with the world using links below: